> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Barnes & Noble NOOK (The Simple Touch Reader) | E-ink Pearl; touch screen and Android OS

Rep: (1293)
DiscussionBarnes & Noble NOOK (The Simple Touch Reader)
Discussion пїЅ | Description | FAQ | Firmware пїЅ | Programs пїЅ | Purchase пїЅ
K

Attached Image

NOOK Simple Touch в„ў with GlowLight в„ў- Reader with built-in screen illumination and anti-reflective coating for $ 119.

Video

Reviews

Attached Image

Description NOOK Simple Touch
NOOK Simple Touch в„ў- This is the only reader, to date, which gives the reader maximum freedom if, of course, he is not too lazy to get full (root) access to the Android system. It is not difficult to do, therefore, I will immediately get down to business. All devices for reading electronic books on e-ink somehow restricted the user (by formats, applications, access to resources).NOOK Touchremoved most of these restrictions, and this is its most important advantage.

Prefer Amazon books over Barnes & Noble? - Install your Kindle app. Want to read all the major book formats (EPUB, FB2, MOBI) with individual fonts and styles? - Use FBReader. Need footnotes right on the page? - Take the cool reader. Dictionaries are available in all their diversity thanks to ColorDict. You can translate online pages directly in your browser using Web Translate Lite. Take notes conveniently in ColorNote with Russian Keyboard. View news has become much easier in NewsRob, Eurosport, Facebook, Twitter, RIA Novosti and similar applications.

You can download a book, application, image through a wireless connection without connecting a cable.Dropbox offers free 2 GBto store and synchronize files! Take books directly from the Internet using Opera Mini browser. Convert large articles from sites and read them as epub files using the dotEPUB.com service.

User's manual

Specifications

Screen: 6 inches E Ink Pearl, touch control, resolution 800x600, 16 shades of gray, portrait mode only.
Formats: ePub, PDF (book), JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP (graphic).
Battery: 2 months without recharging with Wi-Fi turned off and 3 weeks with it turned on, fully charged from the network in 3 hours.
Memory: 2 GB (1 GB is available to the user, 750 MB is reserved for the original content). You can expand the card to 32 GB.
Processor: Texas Instruments 800MHz OMAPS.
System: modified Android 2.1, hidden browser, possible root.
Weight: 212 grams.
Dimensions: 165x127x12 mm.

Video

Reviews

How to bypass registration NOOK Simple Touch
If you cannot register NOOK Touch (no Wi-Fi / restored from someone else’s image / laziness), then use the “secret” menu:

1. At the first registration dialog, hold down the upper right button and drag your finger across the top of the screen from left to right. The “Factory” button will appear in the upper left corner, which should be clicked.
2. In the “Factory” screen that will open, again hold down the upper right button and tap with your finger in the lower right corner of the screen.
3. The “Skip Oobe” button will appear at the bottom left, which should be clicked. After that, NOOK will go to the home screen, and the “Owner” and “Account” fields in the Settings menu ->About Your NOOK will be set to "Unavailable."

Note: This method does not interfere with the installation of fresh firmware, however, B & N services will not be available and the battery will be discharged faster. Thanks:kaznelson
A source:forum.xda-developers.com

Battery replacement - Barnes & Noble NOOK (The Simple Touch Reader) (spacebios # 41315609 Post)

Post has been editedvadeus - 06.07.15, 13:27
Reason for editing: Battery replacement

Rep: (171)
And, something, does not swing with Dropbox. Says a file problem.

Posted on 06/29/2011, 19:10:

Yes, by the way, the book appeared on eBay. Today ordered. $ 159 + $ 49.99 shipping.

Here is what it writes:
Connection attempt failed
Firefox cannot connect to the dl.dropbox.com server.
The site may be temporarily unavailable or overloaded with requests. Wait a while and try again.
If you cannot load a single page, check your Internet connection settings.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy server, make sure Firefox is allowed to access the Internet.

Yes, I already, in general, downloaded from the XDA. There, the truth is a 6-part archive.

Young @ 06/29/2011, 19:39*
Firefox cannot connect to dl.dropbox.com server

Opera shakes without problems.
On the dropbox, a modified script!

Chrome swears too. And with Dropbox, I downloaded Mozilla without any problems, and I also have files there for synchronization ..

Young @ 06/29/2011, 19:59*
Chrome swears too.

Checked and Chrome - shakes without problems.

Yes, everything loaded. Already forgot how to communicate with dropbox. I do not use it often.

Rep: (57)
In short, I am in the tank, and nothing happened. The instruction is generally about nothing, sorry for the expressions. So in order. The computer is connected by cable to the WiFi router. The book is connected via WiFi to it. Password with WiFi removed. He rutted a card until the inscription appeared. Then on ... al brains. (Clause 5.6.7). Then he delved. After the Rooted Forever inscription appears, you need to: remove the memory card (with the image), disconnect the USB cable and turn on the nuk. And that’s all, he arrived — there is a Nuk address, but you can’t connect. unable to connect x.x.x.x: 5555. But pings ....

After 10 minutes... :
1. Downloadtouchnooter-1-6-24.zip
2. Prepared a flash drive
3. Disconnected nuk.
4. I inserted a flash drive.
5. Turned on the nuk.
6. I waited for the inscription, and the loading of the nuk.
7. Created an account on Google. (Used the existing one)
And only now I was able to run autonookroot.bat successfully fromof thispackage.
Answered all questions. Rebooted. And it all worked out. The central button is the Application Menu. Well and so on ....
(Why use a cable, remember drive letters, etc. .. I still do not understand)
P.S. From myself - the shell is damp (or it seems damp, because of 16 gradations of gray we must apparently make a different design).

Post has been editedBiga73 - 30.06.11, 14:50

Biga73 @ 06/30/2011, 14:04*
Then on ... al brains. (Clause 5.6.7).

Judging by the description, you simply did not complete the root procedure.
I explain ... The script (autonookroot.bat) is divided into 2 parts:

1. Root termination - with a connected USB cable.
2. Install applications - with a connection via Wi-Fi.

If you specified the drive letter correctly and waited for a message to appear that the memory card can be removed, then the root is complete.

The next step is to reboot Nuk and connect it to Wi-Fi. After that, in the settings you need to see his IP address ...
Which is needed for operations with files through ADB - installation of Google applications, readers, etc.

If you defined it and fed the script correctly, then there should not be any difficulties.
I also recommend downloading the latest version of the script:http://db.tt/C2zJrQY

Post has been editedBillard - 30.06.11, 14:40

Rep: (57)
I noticed an unpleasant thing - when the image noogie.img flooded, the flash became 75 meters in size (2 Gb was). Windows is not treated (Win 7). Restored using nook (U - Settings - Device Info - SD Card - Unmount SD Card - Format SD Card).
2 Billiard - thanks, really not completely done everything. Add the following to the instruction: after starting autonookroot.bat when a question appears, you already have full access ... press n, and enter the drive letter you remembered earlier. Encryption on the router can not be turned off, but the main thing is that both the Nuk and the computer are on the same subnet. He returned to the factory firmware for now. (U - Settings - Device Info - Erase & Deregiter Device)

Biga73 @ 06/30/2011, 16:14*
Add the following to the instruction: after starting autonookroot.bat when a question appears, you already have full access ... press n, and enter the drive letter you remembered earlier.

I generally removed this item (root / not root) so as not to be misleading.

Post has been editedBillard - 30.06.11, 17:17

Rep: (3)
Thank you for the clarification, and from the available reviews it was possible to mistakenly understand that he was not looking for anything at all.
If possible, tell me - and the cover is only Nuk-Tachevsky, or something else you can watch. And then complete with a cover is much more expensive: angry:
And the Internet is not particularly relevant to me - on the reading rooms I am minimalist. YouTube, Facebook - in the furnace. IMHO.

MNG @ 07/02/2011, 17:24*
only Nuk-Tachevsky case, or something else you can watch

The new Nook has a “non-standard” size and an original cover fastening system, so ...
I recommend taking the original ones. The quality is excellent. The prices are reasonable.

Here is a short overview of accessories:http://nook.im/texts/348

Of course, Chinese crafts for the new Nook model will soon appear, but ...
To spoil the reader, saving 10-20 dollars, I do not see the point.

Prices - accessories are a separate issue, but. while there is no such branch.
As far as I understand - the difference is $ 20 - approx. 600 p.? (I do not follow the courses, salary, rent, bread - potatoes, while in rubles).
Well, yes, if 1000 - 1600, it is not so noticeable.
In Russia, the nuk itself is somewhere from 7,500, and with the cover closer to 10,000. Directly ordering - there is no way / time to sort it out - some hisses, palpals - everything is not in Nashensky.
So, over time they will drag us covers, maybe the price difference will smooth out.

MNG,
I had in my hands several cheap covers for the first Nook and Kindle.
What to say?
It is easier and cheaper to store (transport) the reader in the package than in such covers.
And for travelers $ 30-40 per cover is not a big price for comfort and security.

Post has been editedBillard - 02.07.11, 18:12

Rep: (296)
MNG @ 07/01/2011, 12:31*
Wow, another owner has appeared. Congratulations on your purchase.
About the launcher, I can’t say, alas, I can’t do anything - I don’t know how to do it myself, android.
But I can outline questions. How are your impressions of Nook? You read simply, or tried to work with the text? Have you got a cover?
Well, in general ...

MNG @ 07/02/2011, 19:00*
Prices - accessories are a separate issue, but. while there is no such branch.
As far as I understand - the difference is $ 20 - approx. 600 p.? (I do not follow the courses, salary, rent, bread - potatoes, while in rubles).
Well, yes, if 1000 - 1600, it is not so noticeable.
In Russia, the nuk itself is somewhere from 7,500, and with the cover closer to 10,000. Directly ordering - there is no way / time to sort it out - some hisses, palpals - everything is not in Nashensky.
So, over time they will drag us covers, maybe the price difference will smooth out.

not the owner yet =) tomorrow I plan to grow up for 6500 ...
and poyuzal from a friend who took in a megastack for 8300 ...
moreover, there was such a problem that he wanted to take the reader in Moscow without gimor, within 9 rubles ... looked towards pocketbooks of 300-600 models ...
I dissuaded him from poket and he took a subject ...
First, I ask for a native, after an hour they were sewn ...
I really liked it ... he is finally happy as an elephant, just like I, in principle ...
and about the covers, they should appear next week in the same megastack ...
do not consider it as advertising, I just google 3 places in Moscow time, where you can buy a subject ...

and I also wanted to ask if it is necessary to mold the film on the screen? otherwise the color has a problem there, like the film is needed ... how is it going? Well, at the same time, how to clean the screen from stains and fingers there?
And by the way no one has met covers?
I don’t really want a cover = (
THX...

Post has been editedDeepdusky - 02.07.11, 20:23

I do not recommend using screen films in general, but especially for readers.
You need to clean the screen with microfiber and special means without alcohol.
I myself prefer pockets, but for the NOOK Touch there aren’t any original ones, for some reason.

I plan to grow up
Is this an order across the ocean? In Russia, at such prices have not seen.
How it was flashed - on the profile forum, people broke through for three days - everything did not go away. there, the whole community led him to his cherished goal.
And about the megastack, yes, while the monopolist hasn’t found anywhere else (from stores on the network)
By the way, what did you see in Nuk? Books - pictures? What was put there? Interesting.

Such a question arose - is it possible to backup the root?
Purpose - Let's say I got a rutovnoy book (I can not rut myself) But it freezes.
On the mobile wines, you are hardcore, and you are reborn taking into account the cause of the failure. But if Hard Resed Nuka - then sit down for books, it’s too late for me to study the root process, it’s not delicate to strain people so that they would rut again. And so - restored the backup and use it again.
And about the fact that the shuttles have a significant weight - they know the art of palpals, Pindos addresses and other things. The rest is apparently easier to overpay.

MNG,
There is half a step to backup.
I already installed ROM Manager, ClockworkMod for NOOK Color also became no problem.
Now it remains to switch to Recovery mode ...
And there you can make a backup and ...
Install CyanogenMod - and why not? )))

Billard, great that the development of the machine is moving forward.
I suppose that I’ll get a hook, as with cash it will get better. I looked at the ABC - Alan leads it all the same, but there is only a stylus, it’s not convenient.
Although, according to Nuku, from the whole bunch of terms learned, I only realized that backup will appear. everything else for me is tricky words. But, apparently, I’ll start to master

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/11/19, 1:25 p.m.