PDA or e-book | TFT (LCD, AMOLED) vs E-ink

Rep: (2)
After a little chat in another thread, I want to open a topic.

Here I am old user HP hx4700 after reading ads and after watching the windows, deliberating for a long time, I still bought myself an e-book. In my case PageOne .

About me: 35 years old, eyesight 1, I read a lot, often in transport. The PDA has been using for 6 years exclusively as a convenient reader, a huge library in my pocket.

2 weeks have passed, at the moment I do not use the book. There are no complaints to e-book, there are advantages - they are described in the relevant topicPageOne reader

Besides the fact that the PDA is more familiar, there are still a number of things.

1) In the absence of good (!!!) lighting, I see nothing. This is the main thing. It is worth someone in the subway stand in front of me - that's all. If one lamp is lit at home, you need to turn on two. I see it on white paper in a new paper book, I see it very well on a PDA, but not on an e-book. This is not news, this is an inconvenient fact. Need a light bulb.

2) The speed of work is noticeably lower.

3) Inconvenient navigation.

4) With frequent opening and closing of new books, 1/2 of the battery charge disappears in a day (!!!). This is slightly slower than that of the CCP, but the difference is not significant.

5) large sizes - you can not read "on the palm", dragging it to the kitchen, to the elevator, to the crowded train, to the queue in the store, etc.

I have such a question - salespeople, "experts," looking at the CCP, wrinkled their brows contemptuously and said - "What are you comparing the CCP and this? It's the same as a book, and on the CCP you can ruin your vision, it's very harmful."
I bought the book, but it's not convenient for me to use it. There is an opportunity to sell it, but I don’t want to hurry.

I would like to hear the opinions of users of electronic devices, such as PDAs, smartphones, phones as readers, or not having an e-book, and share specific impressions in favor of these devices, or an e-book.

Have you really spoiled your vision by reading on your smartphone for years? Or on the e-book?
Is it true that e-book reading is at a different level than on a PDA?
If you prefer e-books, is it really important to read them on an e-book? Why?

Maybe someone will explain that the device I have is better for reading than a PDA. Believe me, I really see better, clear, bright letters on the PDA screen and, therefore, the twice bigger e-book screen does not convince me at all.

I think the majority of users of "illuminated" displays for reading books now have the question "Should I buy e-book replacements, say a PDA, or a phone?" The cost of these devices is quite large. I bought, but did not answer this question. It would be interesting to understand.

Post has been editedbirkin77 - 16.02.11, 18:10

Rep: (1247)
FAQ on e-books
Electronic Books - Personal Experience
E-Book Selection

This is for starters.
The meaning of the topic is not clear.
Why do we need to convince you? We have a lot of other concerns: yes2:

Bamboo.

Thanks for your links.
I don’t know, for some reason, this is the second time you don’t like this topic, if you have rights - you can close it and deal with your own concerns, as you write.

I described my question clearly enough and I do not need to be convinced. You do not take into account, but the ADVERTISEMENT has already convinced me, I bought it.

I bought a PDA and bought an e-book, I did not find any significant advantages in the latter. Accordingly, I will either leave it with me, or I will sell it or present it. Therefore, I ask users what they think about it and whether they think about it at all, or, like me, they buy well-designed advertising, and convince myself that this is much better than what they have always used. It is now important for me to find out if there is something important in the e-book that I don’t see in it.

“I think the majority of users of“ illuminated ”book reading displays now have the question“ Should I buy e-book replacements, say a PDA, or a phone? ”I bought it, but I didn’t answer this question. It would be interesting to find out.”

Post has been editedbirkin77 - 16.02.11, 18:08

Birkin77 @ 02.16.2011, 17:45*
I don’t know, for some reason, this is the second time when you don’t like this topic, if you have rights, you can close it.

No, there is no right, but even if they were - would not close: victory:
Birkin77 @ 02.16.2011, 17:45*
or, like me, they buy well-designed advertising, and convince themselves that this is much better than what they have always used.

I have already voiced my opinion, but I will write it again: since you, I don’t think for sure!
Sincerely.

Good, but if someone has something essentially, speak out, please.

Post has been editedbirkin77 - 16.02.11, 17:57

Rep: (74)
I read from electronic devices for a very long time - I started with the Siemens M65. On the screen with a resolution of 132x176 I read a lot of books. Then I read on Qtek S110 (2.8 320x240) and again I did not experience any problems. The vision gradually set, but it’s more akin to it - everyone in our family wears glasses. But I still do without them, although sometimes they are needed.
Recently, I also bought an e-book, but with the usual lcd display - I needed an inexpensive book that would not be a pity. Fully satisfied - 7 backlighting levels are enough and with any light, the eyes do not get tired when reading, the dimensions are not large (I calmly read in the hustle of the metro and bus). Compared with a book on electronic ink - of course there is a difference, but for me it is not essential.

I would advise you to take an inexpensive book, with a regular display. Fortunately there are models with a 5 inch and 7 inch display

Thank you, I wonder ... if I understood correctly, you are currently using a book with backlight in the screen itself (lcd).

Rep: (74)
birkin77,
exactly. For me it is more convenient than with the display on the ink. At work with a colleague, a book on ink - did not cause much excitement, and reading is not always convenient (especially in darkened rooms)

Rep: (406)
I read on the PDA, I could not read for a long time, my eyes were tired, the screen was small, I did not manage to charge the battery in time at the most interesting place. Then I bought Lbuku V3Eht eye fatigue as it was taken off by hand, the screen size is just for reading, a long-lived charge compared to a PDA. And for reading in low light I bought a lamp + a desk lamp at home and all the problems were solved. Now I changed Lbuku to PoketBuk 602, I will not return back to the PDA. : rabbi:

I use explay hd.book
5 inches, normal tft backlit, do not feel discomfort ..
I think that the convenience of reading from e-Incas is a solid marketing, because many of them at work for 9-10 hours are staring at Monica and the rules are all ..
I can offer your reader to replace the reader with a normal screen, then you can also carry the vidos with you;)

Rep: (436)
For many years, I also read on different PDAs, more precisely communicators. Not inconvenient. Once having yielded to gadzhetani, I got a reader on e-ink. And also faced the problem of lack of light for reading. Especially considering the fact that I like to read in the evening, and even almost at night, but at the same time I do not like the bright light in the room. You can, of course, use a backlit case, but this increases the weight of the device and is not comfortable to read for a long time with the reader in hand. As a result, I purchased a reader with a TFT screen. And I realized that it was mine. Reading with a screen of 5 "is undoubtedly more convenient than with a communicator. Soft lighting does not tire the eyes at all, you can read in any conditions. But I didn’t try it on the beach, but I don’t read at all. there is such a desire, which sometimes arises. Not to mention the fact that this is actually a pocket photo album. The only drawback is the work time. When will the AlReader for Android be released? I think about purchasing 7 "tablet so that was another plus - the possibility of accessing the Internet.

Thanks for the recommendations and answers, I did not explain - now I use my hx4700, four inches is enough for me. E-book is also trying to read, so as not to gather dust, but not often.

Post has been editedbirkin77 - 17.02.11, 00:07

According to the link indicated by Bambuk (om), I read an interesting remark - e-link could be rated somewhere in six months of use. We must wait ...

Post has been editedbirkin77 - 17.02.11, 00:14

Rep: (163)
M
We move to the "Choice and comparison."

Rep: (107)
I'm reading from a smartphone, but the ebook is getting dusty (onyx 60s) I can't bring myself to carry it with me. and I got the speaker out of my pocket and read it, with my eyes so far nothing ... from ebuk, of course it's more pleasant to read under the lamp ... And about the harm, about 2002 LSD was rubbing that it does not damage eyesight, unlike CRT monics =) so all things are relative ...

And about the harm, about LSD in 2002, rubbed that it does not spoil the vision, unlike the CRT monik

Please clarify about LSD or LCD? : rofl:

Post has been editedBamboo - 19.02.11, 16:15

Bamboo,
: lol: LCD and cathode ray tube =) then a 15 inch monic nec was purchased, and with a pure heart was sure that it was harmless to the eyes, unlike a shaky picture with radiation from ominous tube monitors: happy:

Rep: (1)
A good topic was raised by the author, thanks to him.
Personally, I read a lot on the forums of phrases like "LCD is harmful, E-Ink is read-only, almost like a book, saves eyesight, etc."Kindle 3 I read 15 books on it and what can I say.

First, for some reason, no one says thatthere is a huge difference between reading from white paper and reading from e-ink . This is very noticeable if you read E-Ink for a long time and then switch to a regular book — I personally read the book much easier, and the reason is the gray backing of the electric curtain screens, which is very far from the real paper.

Secondly, again, the color of the substrate.Why are E-Ink supporters sure that the dull gray background of electronic ink with a low-contrast font is less harmful to the eyes than a LCD that is correctly tuned in brightness? I do not know what background color for the eyes is best, but it should be light, and the background of the E-Ink is not light, it is dull.

Thirdly, the blinking of E-Ink when changing the image on the eyes does not have a positive effect either.

Fourthly, the E-Ink display is highly dependent on the lighting, much stronger than ordinary paper, as a result of which the strain on the eyes in not very well-lit places rises.

I personally have only two serious complaints about E-Ink, as you see, but for me it’s more than enough to seriously consider buying a TFT screen reader.

As for the advantages of E-Ink, besides the doubtful “harmlessness” for the view, I would call only the battery life, I do not see any more benefits.

In general, if you want to get a full analogue of plain paper, then you need to waitLiquavista - this is really a dream technology, there is even a built-in backlight, you can read in the dark! I hope that in the next 3 years the technology will be launched into production.

Rep: (186)
Birkin77 @ 02.17.2011, 02:06*
now I use my hx4700, four inches is enough for me

So use: yes2: it has one of the best screens among PDAs (not kmk), namely PDAs, in terms of brightness / color rendition (it seems to have been recognized by users. The PDA is also a computer in a pocket. The e-book is usable, though now There are already those that go on the Internet and you can watch photos .. But still, it has very few advantages compared to the PDA — very little: drag:

P6T @ 02/19/2011, 10:18 PM*
Secondly, again, the color of the substrate. Why are E-Ink supporters sure that the dull gray background of electronic ink with a low-contrast font is less harmful to the eyes than a LCD that is correctly tuned in brightness? I do not know which background color for the eyes is the most optimal, but it should be light, and the background of E-Ink is not light, it is muddy

Are real books always printed on high-quality paper? Most of the books are printed on recycled materials, which is much worse now. paper. and old books also have yellowed pages ... and they all read equally well, so this whiteness of the substrate is a dubious minus ... For me, this is how it is with email. paper read much more comfortable than with tft, especially if large print and email. book with normal software

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07/16/19, 02:40