Personal experience, information, do it yourself | All device types

Rep: (1248)
Files for readers

Personal experience in the second post

Just in case, I warn you - attempts to pofludit will be stopped mercilessly, but you should not be afraid to express sound thoughts;)

So far we have only a few materials suitable for this branch, but I think together we will put together a good knowledge base, and the best files will be transferred to fact: victory:

1. Tips for reading Pdf and DjVu
Version 5 dated 02.17.2011.
This article was originally written for Onyx Boox, but it turned out that it contained many recommendations, especially on working with BBs, which would be useful to the owners of other devices.
Contains info on work not only in Windows, but also in Mac Os X
Story
2. 04.02.2011
Added sections:
"DjVu Document Processing (Windows)",
"Crop fields in PDF and DjVu (Windows) documents."
3. 07.02.2011
The section “Cutting fields in PDF and DjVu documents (Windows)” was renamed to “Processing PDF and DjVu documents (Windows)” and added.
The section "Processing DjVu documents (Windows)" has been added.
4. 14.02.2011
Changed the section "Cutting fields in a PDF document (Windows)", found a convenient FREE program for cutting fields.
5. 17.02.2011
Added the section "Cutting a PDF Document for Comfortable Reading on a 6" Device (Windows and Linux) "with a curious useful program.

Attached filepdf_and_djvu_5.pdf(1021.53 KB)

2. The best readers of 2010 according to The-ebook.ru
Discussion here:Best readers of 2010
Attached Image
Attached Image

3. Comparison of popular models
There are 2 files in the archive,
e-books.mht - feature comparison
format.mht - support for various file types
Attached filebook.rar(10.5 KB)

4. Personal experience on the TFT reader, on the basis of which the corresponding section of the FAK was written.
This article is written byShagrathXDbecause Only the owner of the TFT reader can give an objective assessment of this class of devices. If anyone wants to thank this user -click here.
Attached fileTFT ________. Doc(34.5 KB)

Post has been editedBamboo - 17.08.11, 14:26

Here he also wrote on this topic:Onyx Boox - files (Post # 6160946)

Posted on 06/08/2011, 04:49:

M
To topicPersonal experience and supporting materials attached topic Ebook Screensavers

Rep: (399)
Perhaps someone, when choosing a device, the following information will be useful.
Comparison of LCD and E-ink display on the example of hp iPAQ 1930 and Wexler Book E6001
1) Indoors under incandescent lighting. 2) Indoors in daylight
Attached Image
Attached Image

Comparison of E6001 and paper book format 70x108 1/16 (page size ~ 163 mm x 255 mm). In the daylight.
The original DJVU file was converted to PDF usingdjvu2pdf
1) Portrait mode 2) Landscape mode
Attached Image
Attached Image

Comparison of E6001 and a paper book in 84x108 1/32 format (page size ~ 127 mm x 198 mm). In the daylight.
The source FB2 file was converted to PDF usingFB2DocBook(Profile changed for this device yourself)
Attached Image

Text scaling in FB2
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

To assess the speed of opening and paging files I provide the following videos:
PDF, 57 MB, content - page scans adapted to the screen - 600x760 (40 pixels crop for the status bar)
Attached fileMVI_2410_transcoded.avi(1.77 MB)

FB2, 1.39 MB
Attached fileMVI_2411_transcoded.avi(1.59 MB)

PDF, 1, content - formatted text + 1 cover picture, page size matched to the device (90 mm x 116 mm). Converted and FB2 to the aforementioned FB2DocBook.
Attached fileMVI_2412_transcoded.avi(1.79 MB)

A brief overview of features in supported formats.

PDF
A4 pages are conveniently read only in a landscape position (although still a very small font is obtained).
There is a re-alignment mode (in Russian localization it is not called correctly - "status bar") - something like reflow - text content is displayed, pictures are not displayed.
Overall supported well.

FB2
Scrolling faster than PDF
Large and unregulated fields and line spacing (~ 150%)
The table of contents does not function correctly - the first few points lead to the corresponding section of the document, and after scrolling to the next paragraphs, the transition takes place to the section corresponding to the point from the first screen (the one that was before scrolling through the table of contents). After changing the font size, any table of contents leads to the first page.
The display of the accent symbol is supported.
The subscript / superscript character position is taken into account, but is not displayed on the average font size - only with a small or large size can you see a superscript or subscript
Additional characters not displayed
Hyphen[-]
Single Left [‘]
Squared [І]
Less than or equal to [≤]
Inextricable hyphen [-]
Single Right [’]
In the cube [і]
Greater than or equal to [≥]
Minus [-]
Lonely left top / bottom [‚]
Symbol 1/4 [ј]
Not equal [≠]
Short dash [-]
Lonely top right / bottom [“]
Symbol 1/2 [Ѕ]
Approximately equal to [≈]
Long Dash [-]
Double Left [”]
Symbol 3/4 [ѕ]
Copyright [©]
Horizontal bar [-]
Double Right [”]
Amount [∑]
Registration Symbol [®]
Non-breaking space

Tables not supported
Not all images are displayed.

Epub
Additional characters are displayed (if available in the font)
Hyphen[-]
Single Left [‘]
Squared [І]
Less than or equal to [≤]
Inextricable hyphen [-]
Single Right [’]
In the cube [і]
Greater than or equal to [≥]
Minus [-]
Lonely left top / bottom [‚]
Symbol 1/4 [ј]
Not equal [≠]
Short dash [-]
Lonely top right / bottom [“]
Symbol 1/2 [Ѕ]
Approximately equal to [≈]
Long Dash [-]
Double Left [”]
Symbol 3/4 [ѕ]
Copyright [©]
Horizontal bar [-]
Double Right [”]
Amount [∑]
Registration Symbol [®]
Non-breaking space

Some kind of tables are preserved.
The font size and the last page read are remembered.

RTF
Only text is displayed
Pictures are not displayed
Tables not supported
Open for a long time. Sometimes longer than larger PDFs.

HTML
Only text is displayed
Pictures are not displayed
The original page layout is not taken into account.
Tables not supported
Links not supported

Txt
Open and scroll faster than all the above formats.
Formatted Left Only

I tried to describe the main features, if I missed something, I’ll supplement it.

View images (tested bmp, png, jpg, gif)
Although the manufacturer claims 16 gradations of gray, 8 gradations are actually displayed.
It was tested on gradients with 256, 32, 16 and 8 shades of gray.
To “squeeze” the ranges beyond 8 gradations, dithering is used - in transitional shades, lighter pixels are inserted to soften the transition of shades.
Most likely, 16 shades is a commercial move. I do not deny the possibility of full-fledged hardware support for the declared parameter. Perhaps only 8 shades are implemented in software.

Player.
There is:
Sort music by Artist / Album / Style.
Adding to favorites.
Select file from explorer.
Play the last file.

Playback through the built-in speakers is very quiet - tested at home and in a fairly quiet environment.
Play through the supplied headphones and large monitor headphones of a closed type (via the 3.5->2.5) - sound quality and playback volume at the level of the average flash Mp3 player.

Preparation of the firmware.
There are fonts from Paratype in firmware 1.2.4
Messages by Denis Mironov look very entertaining (in messages # 2987, # 2989. Discussion "WEXLER.BOOK T7001"http://vkontakte.ru/topic-20797477_23892874?offset=2980)
quotes:
Are you suggesting we also make friends with Paratype? :)

The price of this friendship may affect you as a user ...

Firstly, at the time of writing, Comrade Comrade Mironov, the fonts from Paratype were already in the firmware for the E6001, apparently "friends" in absentia.
Secondly, according to the Paratype license, regarding PT Sans and PT Serif, free use in commercial products is allowed and it is incorrect to speak about increasing the final cost of the device due to these fonts.

We go further - in the firmware, in addition to the Paratype fonts - PTS75F.TTF, PTS56F.TTF and PTC55F.TTF, we also see Helvetica.ttf, LinLibertine.ttf and Courier in four styles.
The use of these fonts in the interface elements and when displaying books was not detected.
I wonder for what purpose they occupy an invaluable place in the firmware?

Discussion "Problems with the WEXLER.Book E6001B"http://vkontakte.ru/topic-20797477_23974200?offset=140
I continue to quote Comrade Mironova.
Do you want to implement CoolReader there at the expense of other formats?

What damage to formats? Support for the number of formats in CoolReader exceeds the current capabilities of the E6001.

About the CoolReader. The simplest thing that makes embedding this program impossible so far is the lack of space for CoolReader and PDFReader. That is, without changing the design of the book (and specifically, by soldering another chip), this problem has not yet been solved. And this problem is typical for both the E6001 and the T7001.

What a pity ...
The lack of space for CoolReader is due to the fact that 9906kb of free space remains on the chip with the current firmware.

The presence of 10MB of free space is not accidental, have you ever thought? In fact, this is the processor’s cache and an attempt to fill it leads to an effect similar to the fact that your PC will not have enough RAM.

Here, apparently, everything is true. Since after my manipulations with the firmware (replaced yfFont (default font), Times and Arial with other fonts that are convenient for me), the speed of opening large PDF documents (slightly increased)>50 MB) from 3-3.5 sec., Up to 2-2.5 sec. (Measurements do not pretend to absolute accuracy, but the speed of discovery has also increased according to subjective feelings).
The yfFont font (11.2 MB, in the firmware is located in the FONT and SYSFONT folders, therefore we multiply the size by 2) was replaced by a free Free Font (Serif 1.60 MB) distributed under the GNU General Public License. Yes, changing yfFont to Free Font, we are losing something - support for Asian characters.
The question arises - do we need it? Do we read many books in fb2 and txt formats written in hieroglyphs? And the device is sold in the Russian, and not in the Asian market of goods.
As a result of the fight against spurious fonts, we have 29 MB of free space. I uploaded such a modified firmware to my device. Among the tangible changes are the ones written above about the speed of opening PDF and readable fonts for me.

The struggle for a place continues ...
We’ll delete the video codecs, which are also in duplicate in the firmware - another 6.8 MB of free space (I haven’t done these manipulations yet)
I hope the company will not claim to store them in order to repeat the Bookeen experience.http://my-strongdc.ru/e-ink/

The Windows version of CoolReader3 takes up 12.9 MB (I don't think that the Linux version takes up more).
How is it that I, who belong to the class of experienced PC users, can free up enough space for CoolReader integration, and professional programmers working on firmware for this device can’t?

It really surprises me that someone thinks that we are not trying to come up with something.

And finally:
The txt file viewer very cleverly formats strings.
Replacing Arial with Arial, Narrow found that the string, instead of holding more characters, contains the same number of characters. With a compressed font, this gives the effect of filling the line by only 2/3.
Based on this observation, it can be assumed that the developers calculated in advance the number of characters that fit on the line for a given size, instead of making an automatic calculation for each font. On the one hand, this is correct: less computation - less power consumption.
In fb2 and epub formats, this effect is not observed. The line is filled in full.
In the subsequent selection of fonts for replacement, I was guided by the correspondence of the character widths of the replaced font and the font used for replacement.

Found interesting features in the Wexler Book E6001
1) the device names the drives in the style of Windows.
In the hystory.dat file (history of open documents) located on the second hidden system partition, the path to the files that are in the internal memory starts with "D:", and to those that are on the microSD card with the "E:"
Something doesn't look like it

2) The device understands the mobi format, font size settings, and the position in the text when it is reopened is saved.

Opens PDB files, but font size settings are not saved, position in the text too.

It displays htmlz in the explorer, but when opened it says "formatting error".

Post has been editedbalaamster - 05.07.11, 14:31

Rep: (86)
So it happened, I gouged my Pocket Book 360 :(
It’s my fault, don’t shove so many products into a backpack.

The choice of a new reader was obvious, for me of course.
The new reader is Pocket Book 360 Plus

Why exactly is she?
+ Used to this form factor
+ Excellent software
+ Price, it’s interesting that the older model costs 5500 rubles. against the old 7500 rubles.

And so, the book is bought.
Nothing special to describe, refer toprevious reviewI’ll talk about the differences.

Kit:
Almost the same as in the previous model, except:
- Clamped charging, only the lace. Well, God bless him rarely needs to be charged, and charging remained from the previous reader.
- Clasped the cord on his hand, he of course also stayed, but whoever takes it for the first time will have to attend to his purchase, without it it’s a little tight in public transport.

Differences from the old model:
+ 2Gb of internal memory, 1.3Gb is available, which for some time saves you from buying a card.
+ The presence of WiFi, it is very convenient to update the RSS feed on the reader itself and read the news on the way to work.
It is a pity that there is no samba, otherwise it would be convenient to upload books on a grid.
+ A faster processor, PDF opens much faster.

And the rest is the same as the previous model.
Undoubtedly, the Pocket Book 360 plus outperforms the Pocket Book 360, both in terms of features and price.
Who chooses a reader, I recommend a closer look at this reader.

I decided to share with all the original article about TFT readers, on the basis of which the FAQ section on e-books was written:FAQ on e-books (Post # 6337962)
I highly recommend reading just to broaden your horizons. And, of course, do not forget to put pluses in the author turnips;)
In the header, this is p4, where you can also download it.

Rep: (11)
- Immediately to the main thing - it was buggy. A lot of bugs. Pages were turned over (fb2 format) once, sometimes immediately after 2, unexpected shutdown, freezing, swallowing parts of pages.
- Despite the quality of the manufacturing materials and the assembly, the screen was not reinforced by anything and I broke it 2 times (!).
- The cover in the corners was wiped for a week of active use.

I do not agree with the speaker. I have Digma e500 for about six months:
1. It is almost buggy with the latest firmware. Occasionally, a shutdown glitch is not the first time. I have never flipped through pages in 2 - everything is clear in 1st.
2. I carry with me all these half a year in a case in a bag. The case is like new. No scuffs. 3
3. 1 time fell in a case, forgot a couple of times and sat down or pressed it to a seat in the subway, pushed and clamped a bag with a reading room during rush hours in the car and at the passage ... absolutely nothing! The case is very hard, the screen is in-depth, so it is difficult to wash it. Plus, the back wall of the reader is aluminum, torsional and bending!

Rep: (149)
I'll tell you a little about iRiver Cover Story.
I purchased this device abroad, or rather, in France, at the airport. When I bought it, I managed to check the performance and find the Russian language in the menu. I bought it and downloaded several books in Fb2 format through a laptop there, when I opened these books I got an opening error. I suffered a little with him (I tried different formats and encodings) and postponed this matter until I arrived home. On the Internet, off site iRiver (Russia) downloaded the latest firmware for the book, installed it and it worked.
Now a little about the characteristics:
Dimensions - 126 x 162.8 x 9.5 mm
Weight - 230 g
Memory - 2 GB (expandable by SD memory cards up to 32 GB)
Voice Recording - Built-in Voice Recorder
USB - USB 2.0
LCD - 6 "e-ink (800x600) 8 grayscale, touch
Operating System - Windows 2K / XP / Vista / 7
Number of Channels - Stereo
Reads MP3, OGG, WMA, TXT, FB2, EPUB, PDF, DJVU, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF.
1800 mAh Li-Polymer battery

Attached Image

In my opinion, this is a good e-book reader for those who travel often, it has small dimensions, I carried it in my jacket pocket and did not experience any inconvenience. The display is easy to read, there is a choice of two fonts, and most importantly, it is a magnet cover.
Now, after a month of heavy use, I caught one glitch, while reading, I quickly turned over the pages and the screen froze. No buttons work, the screen shows one page, the power button does not respond to pressing. I got out of the situation like this: I unscrewed the back cover, carefully disconnected the battery from the connector with tweezers, waited a couple of minutes and put it back. Turned on, everything works. This did not happen again.

Post has been editedElectrician79 - 18.11.11, 08:35

Rep: (0)
Maybe not in the subject, but could not find where to write better because they are interested in the opinion of the owners. I want to buy an electronic book, mainly for reading technical documentation. From there, and complexity because it is often not recognized text (scans for example) - therefore, I immediately want to take a larger size and resolution. At the same time, the opinion is interesting, how much it is critical to take the sensory. Since the choice is huge and I did not use such devices, I want a really good combination of price and quality. Admins do not get angry))

Rep: (1294)
intronik,
That way:Electronic Books - Selection and Comparison
Intronik @ 07/22/2012, 04:04*
it is often not recognized text (scans for example) - therefore I immediately want to take a larger size and resolution

Pre: 9-10 inch screen.

Rep: (40)
Intronik @ 07/22/2012, 05:04*
it is often not recognized text (scans for example) - therefore, I immediately want to take a larger size and resolution. At the same time, the opinion is interesting, how much it is critical to take the sensory. Since the choice is huge

IMHO's sensitivity is uncritical, but there really isn’t much choice with books with a large screen - basically, if you take it with the e-mail, then the choice is between the Kindle DX, Pocketbook 9xx series and Onyx m92

Rep: (1)
We take the solar battery from the LG phone for sale separately costs about 4 dollars and our reader is eternal.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

under normal daylight illumination, the idling voltage of the solar battery is stably 4.6v.

Rep: (3945)
An interesting solution. The cover also needs to be cut through a hole. : rolleyes:

As for me, it’s easier to buy a universal charger with a solar battery, which can charge not only the reader, but also a phone, camera, tablet, navigator.

Rep: (4)
I didn’t know where to write .... I’ll write here, I bought a Nuk simple with backlight today, I didn’t check it when I bought it, I came home - I saw a scratch on the screen, but not immediately, as soon as I turned on the backlight .... Maybe someone met? Should I count on an exchange? If not, how much can a replacement cost? I live in Kiev, the service did not find = ((((Very upset, please help ....

Inero @ 09/21/2012, 11:01 PM*
Should I count on an exchange?

Return to seller.

Should I count on an exchange?

Worth it.

how much can a replacement cost?

Cheaper to buy new.

I live in Kiev, the service did not find ...

Service in the States.

Billard @ 09/22/2012, 1:17 PM*
Return to seller.

Sent to the service ....

Naturally.
Go to the service and try to get a conclusion that the problem arose not through your fault.

There is! Recognized my "innocence" =) Tomorrow I’m going for a new book ^ _ ^

Rep: (0)
Hello guys. Maybe of course the branch was mistaken. But maybe someone has firmware for the airbook wi-fi city reader, because the link on the off site is dead. And you need to reflash to turn on. Help me please...

Rep: (3945)
TRISTAM92,
The branch was wrong, yes.Airbook.

Rep: (38)
I will bring my 5 cents. Just yesterday I bought a Digma Q1000 (more information) Well, happy as an elephant. )) Before that, there was some kind of Chinese reader, there was no contrast or anything. And here you can immediately see a solid dizan. As soon as I bought it, I immediately stole a stalker. Ridit is a pleasure.

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 11/25/19, 00:37