Readers | General topic for discussion and questions.
Devices for reading electronic books ...
-
Are needed. Be sure to buy. [ 390 ] ** [39,92%]
Not needed. Why, if there is a PDA? [ 63 ] ** [6,45%]
I do not care, I do not read books. [ 13 ] ** [1,33%]
I bought and read from the e-book. [ 510 ] ** [52,2%]
Total Votes: 977

Rep: (155)
For a long time there are devices on sale which allow to read books in electronic form.
The market for such devices is still too small. However, slowly developing.
I propose to discuss the feasibility of such devices.
Also in this thread will be posted announcements of these devices.

[b] This is a general topic of communication between e-book owners and people who are interested in e-books.
With questions on the choice of devices - inElectronic Book Readers - Selection and Comparison.

Our friends withthe-ebook.orghonestly :) some filesFAQ'aon the selection of the most optimal reader and tables compared readers and software in them. I ask everyone to use!
Attached fileFAQ_Readers2.doc(30.5 KB)

Attached fileE_readers_4_4.rar(19.99 KB)

Attached fileSoft_in_details.rar(7.55 KB)

"How to choose an electronic reader (reader)" - tips from Alex Exler

Poll results on 03/05/2011 inthis post

P.S. The best way to thank a person is to raise his reputation. If you do not have 15 messages - click on the "Complaint" button and write to whom you want to raise your reputation and for what.

Post has been editedPicnik - 10.08.13, 09:48

Rep: (87)
Alan @ 02.24.07 10:48:26
Yes, everyone has their own practical experience :) - I’ve been reading smart for the third year - I can’t get enough of it, and I turned my lap for thirty minutes in a store where it’s impossible to say that there is little light - and the position where the text is visible, and not seem to be imagined - found with great difficulty ...

Do not take it as a run over, but in my opinion you read it on smart, if it already seems to have begun :) Or, as an option, it was a VERY dark store.
Because neither I, nor my spouse, or a couple of friends who also have lbooks and have no problems reading from him ... read quietly exactly under the same lighting conditions under which a normal book normally reads.
By the way, a long time ago, when I used the Palm m105 for reading, I never used the backlight in it .. and there the screen is MUCH darker than eInc.
But 30 minutes of torsion in the hands can hardly be called practical experience ...
I’ve also twisted a lot of gadgets from my friends during my life in stores. But to say that I have practical experience when working with them ...
Personally, I would agree to read on the screen of a classic ms-smart with its target screen and no resolution only under pain of death :) - all the same, my eyes have not yet learned how to install new ones, so my memory is dear to me :)
PDA vs Lbook - it still did not go, provided that the PDA has a VGA ... everything else to compare for reading is somehow not serious ...
Naturally, IMHO.

Sergey33 @ 02.24.07 10:17:06

This is also an option, but the characteristics are much worse, without a very noticeable drop in price:
7300 vs 9500.
But:
1. LCD screen against eInk - this is a very big difference, I speak as a person who began to read more on the Palm M105 :).
2. The screen, judging by the description, is 1-bit, the lbook has 2 bits. That allows you to do a fairly nice eye-smoothing of fonts.
2. Lower screen resolution
3. percent \ memory is even cooler than that of lBook, so that about native support for pdf \ doc and everything else is likely to star (percent with it, longer
It will render, but here is 256 kilograms of memory for pdf - well, well).
4. The lBook has better equipment - a 512 Mb card + a tiny smart card reader for it is included, a trifle, of course, but it’s 500-600 rubles.
5. Apparently, some kind of memory card format ... On the same site, a 128-megabyte card costs another 1350 p. And you have to buy it, because the built-in read-only memory of 256 kilos is not even funny. That's practically no difference ... But if you "come up fairly" and bring the amount of memory closer to the one supplied with lbook, the price will probably exceed the price of lbook.
6. It is not clear how he is doing with the Russian, who Russified and who updates the software for him (if at all).

Post has been editediSlider - 27.02.07, 17:21

Rep: (1313)
I read a lot of books and, for the most part, in electronic form. I wouldn’t buy a specialized device - I am an ardent supporter of combining all the necessary functions in one device. Although electronic ink is a thing! I really hope that this technology can be brought to such a state that it will be comparable with color, resolution and response time with LCD displays, even if it is of average quality. E-ink has undeniable advantages, but neither the capabilities of technology, nor the capabilities (in functional terms) of devices attract me at the moment. Although, I repeat, I am very impressed with e-ink and I expect a lot from this technology, maybe in vain I wait, but time will tell ... :)

Rep: (1)
I’ll definitely buy some device on eInk, although I’ll wait a bit - it’s probably already in flow. This year there will be versions with normal support for third-party programs and with slightly smaller sizes (at least due to the framework).

and for all-in-one product advocates, examples are:
http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7501.htm
everything as requested: 5 "VGA, GPS, GSM, WiFi, etc. It really weighs 400g, but it can do everything. 8)

another optionhttp://www.clubimate.com/ultimate/ult7150.htm
a phone with a 3.8 "VGA ... true without GPS ... and most likely it will not be convenient to read ... :(

still beast: 4.1 "800x480, however! 250g., 70 x 140 x 18.9
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/19/sharps-...HSDPA-and-WiFi/

nda ... but there is still no happiness: wink_kind:

Rep: (12)
I read on Sony Reader. Before that there was LBOOK. In principle, the screen is the same, but Sonya is much more solidly made. Eyes do not get tired at all. Charging is enough for a week. Book production from FB2 5 seconds. IMHO ideal for travel, etc. Very satisfied.

Rep: (11)
I have been thinking for a long time to buy some Sonya or Lbook (I re-read their website, people are really happy), but I just can’t decide. I have an FS C550, so I have a VGA screen, I have to read a lot and my eyes really get tired, one hell’s screen on the PDA is small anyway. I need a PDA almost exclusively for reading, although sometimes I look at movies, BUT all of its chips in a fucking life aren't needed (the Internet at work and at home, etc.) I’m sitting there racking my brains (the funny thing is that there are grandmas), of course you need to hold in your hands ...

Robson ,
I also read before on the PDA, it’s hard, and it quickly puts a battery in. I also had an LBook Sonya. If the loot does not press, then it is better Sonya. Lbook is filthy done.

Thank you, Gook, at least touch this device. My wife and cousin live in Chicago and she’s about to come for a month, I think he should order Sonya. I found advice on the site of like-minded people, where to buy. That would touch this miracle-yudo. I don’t understand at all, can’t they really cheat on something like that, as I understand it, there’s nothing supernatural there, they scatter like hotcakes in Moscow and in general you need to conquer new devices. When I bought my first PDA (four years ago) I listened to so much horror (why the hell is this to you, etc.). An hour to all these comrades went to choose a PDA. So here it is ...

Rep: (1)
but they do not have backlight = (((
or am I behind the times?

hikc, 05/11/07 8:12:15 PM
but they do not have backlight = (((
or am I behind the times?

Yes, no. But IMHO, nifik is not needed, and you can buy a light bulb.

2 Robson, you can order, if you do not like it, it is profitable to drive: victory:

I'll probably do that. Buy, unsubscribe ...

Rep: (0)
and hyphenation in Russian and English texts (in English is not so important) does any of them know how to arrange?
and all sorts of quotes like "herringbone" and generally Unicode there how?

Rep: (32)
I understand that none of the ebooks has the support of dictionaries? Then, for me, the issue of acquisition disappears immediately and irrevocably (of course, until such a function was stuck there), because I consider one of the MOST main advantages of reading on a PDA to be not encumbered with encyclopedias, etc. (Alreader2 in conjunction with dict - what else is needed?).

The CCP is enough for me.

Rep: (2)
PDA is more convenient. :)

For me, the PDA is probably more convenient .. Although the "E-Books" haven’t come across yet For me, the PDA is good because it can be read in darkness. And the "E-books" do not seem to shine?

They will become cheaper soon.

I rarely read, so the PDA is enough

Rep: (6)
I read books often and a lot, but to pay $ 400 just to read a book, damn expensive! the real price for such a device is IMHO - $ 100, when there is such a thing - you can think about buying, but for now I will use a PDA shk!

Rep: (5)
Exler has a rather interesting Sony Book Reader review on his blog.http://exler.ru/blog/item/3877/. A guy seems to be pleased with almost everything, except for the price of 350 bucks.

Rep: (76)
On the PDA, all the same, for normal reading, the screen is small :(

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/12/19, 19:02