Windows vs Mac OS X vs Linux | what's better? :)

Rep: (197)
romansbeer @ 22.11.18, 18:07*
These financial machinations Russia shut off from SWIFT about next year.

Only a little less than a month, if the prediction comes true? : D

Rep: (54)
I read the last pages of threads, and then actively discuss Luli software, they say, why linux "great professional" software is not gash.
Well personally, I enjoyed the earlier Linux today as the primary system I use Hackintosh, a second system in a separate SSD - Windows 10. But somebody else writes about the fact that the software enough, and just people often write on the site, they say Linux is better all over , etc. Immediately say, that the hack is fully wound up, the system is configured, all the services work, updates come.
So, based on personal observation, I have come to the conclusion that the whole ideal system is not present, but relatively Linux, things are something like: software appeared, such as a lift Bitwig, ReSolve, there is GIMP (in which I am a long time to draw graphics for web sites in my time, logos, hats, icons)
But there's always a "but". For me personally, the biggest "but" remains in the tench making music. Bitvig have up and running, but always minor issues with plug-ins, but the main problem - the lack of drivers for glands, such as NI (simply awesome thing to work with them as samplers), they simply do not, and bitvig these glands are not able to control, on the keyboard nothing is sent, simply acts as a mIDI device. In windsurfing the problem is different - driver on the audio interface I generate more delays than in the same poppy (iron, remember, the same thing). Some plug-ins are loaded under Windows system stronger. The same concerns mounted - in Apple Final Cut have a native codec in the end everything is done really quickly and smoothly, I'm talking about the process of gluing himself tsvetokora. As is the case in the Lina to Resolve - I do not know, so I will not speak. Therefore, for myself concluded that for my needs OS X - the most suitable system for second place would put the Windows on the third Linux. Why is it on linux do popular programs? The answer lies, perhaps, in the fact that there is already a standard codec algorithms work with iron, sharpening a driver, graphical environment for the display interface, and all these things that people usually do not take into account.
For example, why in printing and design studio people are accustomed to using maca? As I recall, it was in Apple has realized the highest color depth (10 bits per channel? Can be confused, not quite sober, I'm sorry, if something goes wrong). In the Windows I do not know how, in later versions of the operating system, most likely, there is also already. And such small nuances a heap, and they relate to Linux

Rep: (36)
Ghettostarz @ 14.12.19, 22:13*
For example, why in printing and design studio people are accustomed to using maca?

Nonsense. A few years ago, I was in Dallas (TX), visiting the former Russian compatriots, and is now a US citizen, and he told me, from my idle curiosity, showed his place of work. And his place of work - it's pretty well-known commercial, private studio dedicated to the creation of any kind of complexity presentations, posters, commercials, design development, 3D-graphics, software and more. In the studio, even a very small number of desktops, including Mac. Basic workstations - a powerful modular hybrids Dell collected in cabinets on stands on the type of server and operating (drum roll) under Windows. I was also surprised by the almost complete absence of Macs in the studio, and of course I asked my American friend, why do they say so? And he said to me that the use of Maca is considered inappropriate because of their tasks, you must use the Direct3D, and open technologies such as SDL and OpenGL does not have the necessary set of functionality. Do you really think that the 3D-model for "Avatar" collected on Macs - told me a friend, and then added: I must you now Destroy, but even high-quality video editing some famous wedding and he is not on the Mac.

Rep: (203)
The same concerns mounted - in Apple Final Cut have a native codec in the end everything is done really quickly and smoothly, I'm talking about the process of gluing himself tsvetokora

It is well known that working with images, and audio and video on a Mac is faster, better and more convenient.
Here, even on the iPhone can be an amateur installation of a very decent quality to do, not to mention the Mac.

But the images, video and audio - it is at least important area of ​​content creation on the computer, but far, far not the only one.
But in other directions Maki essentially lose the PC on Windows, and in some places, and on Linux.

romansbeer @ 15.12.19, 06:38*
I was also surprised by the almost complete absence of Macs in the studio, and of course I asked my American friend, why do they say so?

Apple has even been the most difficult period in history - the end of 90th and beginning of the 2000s.
Then PC Week (or some other well-known in the world of magazine - can not remember), analysts wrote that the firm Adobe is going to stop the release of its software for Mac OS.
The reason - a very small percentage of Macs in the world, which also declined steadily. To write software for the Mac for Adobe was simply unprofitable.

But Steve Jobs came back and could still get Apple out of the quagmire in the most-the very last moment.
P.S. The reason Apple falling into the quagmire known since the founding of this company and explained in one word - greed.

Post has been editedmkudritsky - 15.12.19, 07:01

For me personally, the biggest "but" remains in the tench making music.

Not so long ago in the US Congress, it was decided to digitize the speech of US presidents and politicians with rollers from phonographs to figure the occasion of the Independence Day. Guess on what workers and workstations in a studio digitize rare books? I must say that this was not Macs ...)))

romansbeer @ 15.12.19, 06:54*
I must say that this was not Macs ..

Greed eats away at the company since its inception.
So that the US government simply here to save money, despite the friendship of Tim Cook and Donald Trump.
As you can see, the US government some rogue also sit because do not use Apple technology! : D

mkudritsky @ 15.12.19, 06:48*
The reason - a very small percentage of Macs in the world

Their interest and are now negligible. And even more: OS X can not be used in a professional environment since Apple does not provide solutions in the form of professional modular workstations, from the word at all. I think it is not necessary to explain that, in contrast to what a professional workstation that can easily occupy an entire hall volume level, from desktop desktop?

* romansbeer
I told you about the green, and you tell me about soft. Do not you think that green and soft characterize the object a little differently?

mkudritsky @ 15.12.19, 07:00*
So that the US government simply here to save money, despite the friendship of Tim Cook and Donald Trump.

Not. Apple simply does not produce professional workstations. Apple limited range of desktop, server, portable and mobile devices. Professional workstations, the Apple product range available as a class.

* romansbeer
The fact that you write the same stuff, if that :) why then the same Pixar to create their own cartoons using Mac Pro? Just do it and working with 3D graphics. What do you think, why Apple releases Mac Pro with an apartment worth, and these systems have been applied? That's right, in large studios, animation, and so on. And with the 3D system works adequately, and 2D, just an amateur amateurish level in small companies the knowledge of how and that is arranged in the operating system, as well as its use is quite limited.

romansbeer @ 15.12.19, 07:00*
professional workstations, which can easily hold the volume level of a hall

Well, here you are clearly overdone IMHO!
Entire rooms supercomputers held somewhere in the 70's and early 80-ies of the last century.
Now, it seems like even the most powerful supercomputers in the world, which one (or ten), take something like a small closet in size.

Ghettostarz @ 15.12.19, 07:08*
why then the same Pixar to create their own cartoons using Mac Pro?

They do not use the Mac Pro, in order to verify this personally, you must purchase a ticket to the studio (the money from the sale of commercial excursions at Pixar transfers to charity) and ask the organizers to hold you to the mounting section where the huge workstations are powered from a separate substation . Of course you will say that the passage to get banned, will refer to a trade secret, but the share of perseverance - you can still go there to spend. But unfortunately there is video and photo shooting is prohibited. But you at least will be able to see firsthand some studio equipment.

mkudritsky @ 15.12.19, 07:11*
Now, it seems like even the most powerful supercomputers in the world, which one (or ten), take something like a small closet in size.

Discover materiel. As I said before, you get a visa and go in person to the same Pixar. Commercial trips there not cheap, but you'll know that all of your money Pixar send to charity, and you as a bonus get free coffee and pastries in the cafeteria studio.

Ghettostarz @ 15.12.19, 07:08*
Apple releases Mac Pro

Apple has not released, and assembles desktop solutions based on Intel. Produce and assemble - they are different things. And yes, the pension fund of St. Petersburg, too, are working iMac (drum roll) on Windows. When I asked the engineer, and why it is so, I was answered, saying that previous managers bought the iMac, as it is compatible with a variety of software which is why all the iMac had to install Windows. is cho ...))) Someone laundered the loot on this, for the Russian Federation - this is perfectly normal.

* romansbeer
But that's why in an interview from the company's employees are told and shown how they work on the Mac Pro, and what software :)
Black Magic also talked about the fact that for them the new Mac Pro is an excellent workstation for Productions in the film industry because it can withstand a large number of plug-ins, adjustments, effects, and all with him normally, and 8K, too, everything's okay.
It should be understood that for each computer and each OS has its own application. It is and wind, and Epple, and Linux. And different companies make different choices in flattered that a product is not just

Posted on 15/12/2019, 07:51:

* romansbeer
So if someone put Windu in the aimag, it just means that a person from the recent mind somewhere miscalculated needs.
Workstation Workstation strife. The new Mac Pro is well suited for heavy editing and rendering in a serious film production, it has already passed the tests of large companies. The workstation for you? A very broad concept.
And yes, in the Pixar 3D-simulation runs on Mac Pro, and after that to render the finished scenes goes to the render farm, which is based on Linux :)

Ghettostarz @ 15.12.19, 07:46*
But for some reason they will tell and show in an interview from the company's employees as they work on a Mac Pro, and what software

Commercial partnership Apple and Pixar (by the way, Pixar - this "daughter" the Disney studio) includes commercial advertising each other's products. Apple touts Pixar, and that makes Apple advertising. This is normal. I have when a friend opened his company, he made a rather magnificent presentation of his office, and there were also Maki including at Reception, the secretary, the accountant, in the meeting room and so on. When I asked him about the practical sense of all this pathos, he replied quite simply: to boast that everything looked in the rich. According to his understanding, show-off and rich office environment - it had to attract potential customers. But as often happens, something went wrong and the result was tragic: the liquidation of the company and a lot of debt.
And different companies make different choices in flattered that a product is not just

Once again: Apple does not produce professional workstations and desktops, and servers only. Desktop - a desktop PC and workstation to a professional, he has nothing. And I am not am talking about supercomputers that occupy the volume of high-rise buildings.

The new Mac Pro is well suited for heavy editing and rendering of serious filmmaking

It is not suitable as an assortment of Apple no GPU-servers (they are necessary for high-quality videomntazha), and with the connection of third-party GPU-server to the Mac Pro have a problem because they are sharpened by working in a Windows environment.

I'm not understand why so many are confused desktop solutions to professional workstations? Desktop - a desktop PC with all the attendant opportunities and there accordingly limited. Workstation - a modular station comprising a plurality of struts CPU, the GPU, storage, servers, and other things. This is not a desktop computer - a computer system composed of a plurality of hardware and software modules. Examples are many, and it is a variety of observatories (such as LIGO Observatory), film studios, institutions, recording studio and more. Desktop - is a desktop level and workstation - a computer system. Lord, all these definitions - is the level of basic computer science 4th secondary school.

* romansbeer
You tested to declare unfit? There are also very specific tests rendering 8K and 4K video. This computer is enough power for these tasks. If anything, there is 1.5 terabyte RAM and 128 GB of VRAM. And a good server processor. All this, coupled with the proprietary codec gives very decent numbers. And I would not call this a desktop configuration, it is obvious

Ghettostarz @ 15.12.19, 09:14*
You tested to declare unfit?

If you're talking about Macs, I'm familiar with them more times with the G5. Now I have moved away from them as from ineffective decisions, although the country still have me lying MacBook White in 2010 and his wife in the kitchen for a place under the coffee stand using an old MacBook Air a dead battery, and she most precious this year sits on the tablet Microsoft Surface Go I bought it (on its own request) from a trip to Norway.
Ghettostarz @ 15.12.19, 09:14*
There are also very specific tests rendering 8K and 4K video.

Lord, what nonsense. Have you ever wondered to be the beginning of a matter of how much weight a little videoiskhodnik (or not compressed and at a flow rate of 1 Gig / s) and any necessary processing power for its post-processing, and then you can answer the question for yourself.

Post has been editedromansbeer - 15.12.19, 09:46

Rep: (311)
Ghettostarz @ 15.12.2019, 10:14*
And I would not call this a desktop configuration, it is obvious

Anyone can make mistakes, but who are you to introduce their own classification "by eye", which we have to follow? Can we stick to conventional classification?

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 14/08/20, 20:20