Safely Remove USB Flash Drives | Is hot shutdown dangerous?

Rep: (204)
The problem is not a lie or provocation. Theoretically, flash drives should not fail. In practice, I see several reasons
1. A certain percentage of "accidental" failure. An event that is unlikely to occur. Or it doesn’t happen (such cases as unexpected voltage changes at the host terminals or static electricity (though it seems that all the sensitive elements are hidden under the case) fall into it. That is, the desktop is poorly grounded (and it can’t be fully-fledged on the PDA))
2. The same caching that almost caused a holivar here. As far as I know, there are several ways to write to a flash (this directly relates to the screen in the third post). You can write data directly to a flash (a la sync) - this kills flash drives physically (nand wearing). It is slow. It is possible - only forcibly, when unmounting (quickly, safely, but there is a 95% chance that the data will not be written if you simply eject the disk). There are combined approaches.

My opinion: 1. The problem is not specific to a particular OS. so it’s not necessary to discuss 2. The file system and recording method affect the physical wear of the drive (use journaling fs, in which there are several file tables / superblocks, and learn to unmount manually). 3. If it is not possible to provide grounding - turn off the computer / usb controller before disconnecting devices

Rep: (1)
Greetings, guys tell me I wanted to insert another flash card on the LG Optimus Link, I pressed the shutdown, but forgot to confirm (Click OK in the last dialog) pulled out the card as they say "hot", then turned off the phone and put it back in place, but now all the applications they don’t start from the card, there is a gray SD icon in the menu but instead of icons, the music from the flash card is normally read, and photos / videos, for example, are recorded in the same way without problems. How can I "cache" installed applications from a card, or update links to them to make them work?
Turning off / on the phone and the card separately did not help.
Thank.

And yet, in the application menu, when you select the application that is on the map and try to move it to your phone, a message is displayed saying that the application does not exist.

Post has been editedMo45 - 05.03.12, 13:15

Rep: (177)
And by the way, about power: What about hubs that have their own additional power from the outlet? Do they disconnect and connect it? It seems to me, it always comes ...

I think the chip can take and disconnect the port on command, plug the USB flash drive with the diode and USB hub and make a safe shutdown

Posted on 1/17/2009, 23:12:

I have this safe shutdown, even the card reader de-energizes

: rofl:: rofl:
1->And you don’t know such an apparatus as a tsezhka?
2->And why, when “turning off the power” of the USB port where the USB flash drive is inserted, another USB device works, let's say a hub for 4 ports, the first flash drive, the second 3G modem and the third WEB camera ..... So, in your opinion, USB is the hub for four ports controlled by the BB to manage power for each port on the hub, and is it the first port that it disconnects? And the rest, that is, the camera and modem continue to work as usual? : rofl :: rofl:

Yes, you take a tsezhok and control the power on the ports of the computer! If the controller gives a command to stop supplying power to the port, then ALL ports will be disabled, and not just one thread! : grabli:

Post has been editedBOPOH'Ok - 09.06.13, 20:28

Rep: (71)
I used safe extraction, but qumo aluminum still began to fail (but did not die to the end).

Rep: (0)
never ever used safe extraction. only if the owner of the flash drive stood over his soul and insisted =)
there were no problems. By the way, ATV howled at me, like a starter's topic. my hvok360 she did not like, exchanged for a patriot. still rejoice, the patriot showed himself to be better than the flash voyager from corsair (which I also have). judging by the experience of the starter topic, as I understand it, it’s not in vain that I exchanged)

I’ll tell you a secret, nothing burns there, just a certain BootLoader is blocked. It can be easily restored ...

I have been using flash drives for over 13 years. I never remove it safely. One flash drive during such operation deteriorated :) A couple of times the computer sparked and rebooted.

What did I do
Msconfig_service_start registry editor command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ usbhub \
In the context menu usbhub _ create section_ name HubG
In the context menu of HubG _ create a DWORD parameter (32 bits) _ name DisableOnSoftRemove
In the context menu DisableOnSoftRemove_change_set value 1
The power during “safe removal” from the USB device is removed.

Rep: (61)
The question arose, not a lot off topic.
If you pull out the USB flash drive without using the "safe extraction", the system or the flash drive itself is more affected ...: scratch_one-s_head:

Post has been editedArikm - 25.10.17, 18:52

Rep: (1742)
* ArikM, flash drive.

Rep: (61)
* kosta26 ,
So that's great..
Often I work at all kinds of conferences, I observe how these professors and speakers pull their flash drives, sometimes even without opening the presentation window.
Well, then let them wonder ...: D

Post has been editedArikm - 25.10.17, 20:41
Reason for editing: Error

Rep: (1590)
ArikM @ 10.25.17, 18:58*
Often I work at all kinds of conferences, I observe how these professors and speakers pull their flash drives, sometimes even without opening the presentation window.

Yes, it’s not scary in principle ... when the presentation is on the screen, no operations with the flash drive are already happening.

Good day!

Not quite on the topic, but did not find the right one.
I inadvertently exceeded the number of attempts to set a password on a Data Traveler Locker + G3 flash drive. Now it is locked. Is there any way to hack it and pull out information?

I always try to use safe extraction, because it’s so right) I have several flash drives from different manufacturers, everything has been working fine for many years.

Rep: (46)
* Terranidas, For complete security, you still need to disconnect the computer from the outlet.

Rep: (432)
Terranidas @ 10.19.18, 11:18*
I have several flash drives from different manufacturers, everything has been working fine for many years.

I have been working for many years without safe extraction, so this is clearly not the case: D

Given: Windows 7 Pro. There are six HDDs in the computer. The system stops unused HDDs if they are not in use.

We connect the flash drive, open the document in Word from it. We edit, save back to the same USB flash drive_.

When you try to safely remove the Windows flash drive for some reasonspins all HDD in turn .

Question: Is it possible to get rid of this somehow?

Firstly, a long wait. Secondly, the motor resource of HDD is consumed.

Swap file on drive C: \

It is unclear why in general the OS should interrogate all the screws.

Maybe of course you need to put some tricky update ...

How do other operating systems behave in this situation?

* n-leonid, just pull the flash drive when you need it. The emmc standard is designed for such cases and the maximum that is lost is the file that is currently being written.

Rep: (521)
If the flash drive is in FAT32, the file system often crashes with this extraction. NTFS is more stable.

* peligroso never in my life have the file system on a USB flash drive flown away.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/24/19, 18:20