Safely Remove USB Flash Drives | Is hot shutdown dangerous?

Rep: (34)
I've never used this feature before, everything was normal, all flash drives / card readers, etc. worked fine (I disconnect essno not during writing / reading) ... until I bought a 32GB OCZ Rally2 flash drive. Namely, she died a couple of months after her next connection to the PDA (I first sinned on the curve driver). BB wrote "unknown USB device"! In short, I changed it under warranty for the OCZ ATV 32GB, but she soon died (after BB) !! Recently I heard the opinion that the controller allegedly burns due to a hot shutdown, although I personally think that these flash drives are simply poor-quality / Chinese / singe!
I have a new OCZ ATV 32GB (I refused to return the money), and I’m even afraid to use it especially in light of the fact that the notorious safe shutdown is not provided for on the PDA} -)
I would like to hear what forum users think on this issue. Can a hot shutdown really disable a flash drive?

Rep: (305)
I have witnessed many times how flash drives burned when they were just pulled out. Yes, and the very ones burned a couple of times. They told you everything correctly, the controller burns down.
If you wrote something down, don’t try to immediately pull it out, turn it off first, or wait a couple of minutes

Rep: (23)
As always the crooked pens are to blame, the breakdown does not depend on hot and not hot extraction, of course you can’t tear the USB flash drive while reading - it’s writing, but most often the data is simply lost, they are first written to the cache, then to the flash so that we don’t have to bother about this issue following:
VISTA: RMB on the computer - management - disk management, click on Removable PCM, select properties - the policy tab we put the top daw and do not worry about this anymore.
Attached Image

Rep: (150)
Why then do flash drives burn with normal pulling? Do not tell me a special pulling algorithm in which the flash drive does not exactly burn? I have 2 flash drives dead, while I was too lazy to safely turn them off. from the time I stopped being lazy, for some reason everyone is alive. and "optimization for quick removal" is set by default.

Why then do flash drives burn with normal pulling?

I haven’t burned out for 5-6 years, most likely the matter is in the manufacturers ..... well, of course I saw people who complain that they are burning, and zealously disconnect flash drives through icons. But when you turn off Windows does not stop supplying power to this usb port, it doesn’t conjure otherwise, it just finishes reading and writing, frees the cache and creates the illusion of comfortable extraction. It is enough to close all the programs that access the flash drive (explorer, total, etc.) yourself and boldly pull it out ....

The power also turns off - on flash drives with diodes the diode stops burning

Jiwan @ 16.1.2009, 22:11*
The power also turns off - on flash drives with diodes the diode stops burning

If the power were turned off, the flash drive would automatically be lost from Windows, the diode is an indicator of activity, there is simply no read-write ...
Sorry, I suggest you come to tech:

Disconnecting or removing devices
To disconnect or remove the device

In the notification area next to the panel, double-click the Safely Remove icon. The Safe Eject application displays a list of Plug and Play devices that are currently connected to the system that support Safe Eject mode.
If the Safe Eject icon is not visible, the device does not support safe eject and cannot be disconnected or removed using the Safe Eject application.
In the Safely Remove Hardware field, select the device that you want to disconnect or remove from the list, and click the Stop button. Thus, the system will be informed about the upcoming disconnection or removal of the device.
In the Stop Device dialog box, click OK.
A notification appears that it is now safe to disconnect or remove the device.
Attention!

Disconnecting or removing a device that supports Safe Eject mode without using the Safe Eject application to alert the system can cause data loss or system instability. For example, if the device is disconnected during data transfer, this data will most likely be lost.When using safe eject, the system receives a warning before the device is disconnected or removed, thus preventing possible data loss.
Note

For removable storage devices that can be safely removed while the system is running, caching of write operations is disabled by default . This is required so that the devices can be removed without losing data. However, when caching write operations is prohibited, system performance is likely to decrease, so you should cancel the ban on caching write operations immediately after removing the device.

Taken here

I experimented a bit: when the power is turned off safely, the power is still turned off: blush: - the diode is off, the device manager loses the flash drive (although the ability to turn off the power may depend on the motherboard and / or BIOS settings).
Getting used to the fact that you need to disconnect the flash drive through "safe removal" is still half the trouble, but no one answered the question of what to do with the PDA (I have a USB host)? After all, one flash drive died just after working with it on a PDA, and there is no trace of any safe removal there !! As for the settings in post # 3, I can say that on WM6 the cache is turned on for all drives, which seems to exacerbate the problem (people still like to tweak it so that it has a fixed size of 2 or 4 MB :)). And kill the cache for all drives = kill and so little PDA performance when working with files!
PS Do not offer options such as "drown USB host cable in the toilet: D

Rep: (29)
Drown the pda in the toilet! )))))
At the PDA with the host, how many did not connect the flash drives - everything is super! : happy:

Rep: (832)
If the connector is normal, then the ground is inserted first and the last is pulled out!
A safe shutdown does not affect this. Everything just closes there; at the same time, you can hear the “device shutdown sound”, which means that the computer is aware of it, that means there is power ... Is that logical?

Rep: (670)
If the connector is normal, then the ground is inserted first and the last is pulled out!

And why is that?
USB power leads are the same length.

A safe shutdown does not affect this. Everything just closes there; at the same time, you can hear the “device shutdown sound”, which means that the computer is aware of it, that means there is power ... Is that logical?

I think the sound of turning off the device also means the removal of cramps.

Getting used to the fact that you need to disconnect the flash drive through "safe removal" is still half the trouble, but no one answered the question of what to do with the PDA (I have a USB host)?

Dismantle the Store manually.

USB power pins are the same length

: scratch_one-s_head: But what is around, such a metal frame ...
the sound of turning off the device and indicates the removal of

So she moves. (Maybe just less?)
what to do with a PDA

So turn off the PDA, and then pull it out.

Posted on 1/17/2009, 15:54:

And by the way, about power: What about hubs that have their own additional power from the outlet? Do they disconnect and connect it? It seems to me, it always comes ...

Rep: (1700)
One of my customers bought a batch of Rover desktops, and it was on these computers that flash drives began to burn en masse, and everyone noticed that. I did not bother trying to find an explanation, but, as they say, what I bought for, I sell it for.

And by the way, about power: What about hubs that have their own additional power from the outlet? Do they disconnect and connect it? It seems to me, it always comes ...

I think the chip can take and disconnect the port on command, plug the USB flash drive with the diode and USB hub and make a safe shutdown

Posted on 1/17/2009, 19:12:

I have this safe shutdown, even the card reader de-energizes

Rep: (106)
however, most often data is simply lost, first they are written to the cache, then to the flash

Sorry, but: bugaz I patstalom !! : rofl: cache on flash drives))))))) Nobel Prize in the studio !!!
means like this:
1) only circuit hards have a cache (so as not to constantly drive heads over ferromagnets)
2) cache - this is flash memory, with a difference only in volume and performance
3) flash drives ONLY due to crooked hands / bad manufacturers
I burned my 8-gigabyte “Tolerant” very stupidly - it was without a case (it lived for a year in this state, and a couple of years before the case died), lay in the outer compartment of a backpack and got wet in the rain; I did not look put it in yusb ... and that's it. KZ and hello from a bunch of radio trash.

freddyhacker
I think it meant that since data is being written to the USB flash drive slowly, they are put into RAM and quietly sent there (sorry, I haven’t studied the mechanism).

The data is written physically first, and then only in FAT. This is specially done!

Rep: (106)
The data is written physically first, and then only in FAT. This is specially done!

I don’t argue, but caching is such a thing as a buffer in cutting, sorry, writing drives, where information for recording is filled in to avoid downtime or in case of an unexpected delay, as well as removable hards - first to the buffer, then directly to the hard drive in the described above order.
And yet, not everyone has a file system)

freddyhacker
Well, I used FAT in the sense of a file allocation table, which can be seen from the context ... But it is in one form or another in every system(enlighten someone thread, if not right) (although of course FAT16 and FAT32 were meant, as the most common)

Sorry, but: bugaz I patstalom !! : rofl: cache on flash drives))))))) Nobel Prize in the studio !!!
means like this:
1) only circuit hards have a cache (so as not to constantly drive heads over ferromagnets)
2) cache - this is flash memory, with a difference only in volume and performance

You are talking about the hardware cache, but to speed up work (especially copying a large number of small files), Windows also uses the program cache, which is in RAM. Something like SmartDrive in dos.
Attached Image

3) flash drives ONLY due to crooked hands / bad manufacturers

I think so too. only creations of OCZ were burning at me (possibly singed): sveta: Although I think it’s still worth a little poyuzat safe shutdown if it dies then 100% producer =)
Dismantle the Store manually.

IMHO is not a good way because the power from the port is not removed and it’s not very convenient to go into the storage manager ... But the idea to turn off the PDA is nothing :) the power is removed from the port, and the cache is probably written))
Threat Yesterday, with this manager, instead of a flash drive, he accidentally formatted microSD * mega lol *

Post has been editedSuperART - 18.01.09, 01:54

Rep: (151)
I have not burned for 5-6 years

+1, that XP, that whist. On a heap of computers pulled out just like that, okay. So from myself I can say: the problem is a lie and a provocation.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/22/19, 05:45